What does it mean to be a great father?
There are a lot of good dads and there are others who need improvement. But how do you become a great dad?
While a good dad loves, encourages and disciplines appropriately, a great dad trains his child for life’s challenges. Preparing you son or daughter for life is hard work. Passing on wisdom and life lessons is what separates a good father from a great father.
Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, wrote Ecclesiastes and Proverbs to pass on the wisdom that was bestowed upon him. You could argue whether he was a great father or not, but he did understand the importance of preparing children for life. In Proverbs 22:6, Solomon said “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Paul may not have been a father but he also knew the importance of preparing children for life. In his letter to the Ephesians he wrote, “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4
Through effort and the right guidance, you can become a great dad.
How do you become a great father?
In order to be great at anything, you have to be intentional, practice and prepare. Fatherhood is no different. Unfortunately, in most cases, we’re left to navigate many of the most challenging areas in life with little to no training & instruction – this is what can & often does lead to many of us learning life’s toughest lessons the hard way – lessons that could have been avoided with the proper training.
It was this realization that led to the development of Trailmap for Life – a powerful program designed to help parents & teens understand & navigate the 10 most important topics in life.
Trailmap for Life is an online life-skills course that Parents & their middle/high school kids do together. Each of the 10 monthly sessions guides you through one of the 10 most important life topics and includes fun & informative videos and activities. Whether you take the course on your own as parent & child, or with a group of other parents & teens, the program easily guides you each step of the way & no prep work is required. Each session takes only 1 – 1.5 hours to complete, but can change your lives forever. Click here to learn more!
Other great resources on fatherhood and training your children:
- John Wooden’s father gave him a now famous seven point creed which he lived by and passed on to others:
- Be true to yourself.
- Make each day your masterpiece.
- Help others.
- Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
- Make friendship a fine art.
- Build a shelter against a rainy day.
- Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.
- In Raising a Modern-Day Knight: A Father’s Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood, Robert Lewis describes the importance of a vision of manhood, code of conduct, a transcendent cause, celebrating significant milestones and relationships. Using the knighthood as a model, he describes the importance of preparing your son for life.
- Preparing Your Son for Every Man’s Battle: Honest Conversations About Sexual Integrity walks you through the really difficult conversations, such as the conversations about sexual purity that every father dreads, yet knows he must have. By following the approach in Stephen Arterburn’s book, you can equip your son with the spiritual insights he needs to stand strong, overcome temptation, and experience the blessings of godly obedience.
These resources are an invaluable help on the journey to being a great father. If you are prepared and dedicate yourself, the rewards can be great.
Need More Parenting Advice?
We hope you found this article helpful – it is from the Life’s Top 10: “Trailmap for Life” resources designed to help parents successfully navigate life. This program offers life-skills sessions where parents & their kids participate together- either on your own, or as part of a small or large group.